In September 2013, a newly founded grass-roots movement gained 9 seats in the Austrian Parliament at the first go: NEOS – meaning “new” in the Greek language and referring to the “New Austria”.
NEOS is a political party and a liberal citizens’ movement.
We – NEOS – have very different backgrounds, yet we have one thing in common: we all come from the very centre of society. We entered the political arena to kick-start the essential reforms Austria needs.
Our political agenda is based on 5 core values:
- Our love of freedom reflects our open-mindedness; it embraces the freedom of choice and the principles of independence.
- We treat others with mutual respect and greatly appreciate new ideas for shaping our future.
- We believe in and promote autonomy by strengthening both citizens’ rights and democracy.
- Sustainability is firmly entrenched in what we do and how we think – striking a balance between society, the economy and the environment is our goal.
- Our authenticity is real, just like our transparency. We are citizens who entered politics – and not politicians posing as citizens.
Participation, openness and transparency are in our DNA. Our political positions are not created behind closed doors, but by thousands of citizens in hundreds of task forces on a federal, regional and communal level.
Politics is the public space where we decide on how we shall live together in the future. Our decisions therefore need to reflect nothing but public interest.
We aim for modernisation – we set out to reshape Austria’s socio-political landscape by putting the spotlight on 4 key topics:
- a turnaround in education,
- a social system that is fit for generations to come,
- an entrepreneurial Austria,
- an innovative model for democracy.
Their continued development, refinement and achievement is firmly entrenched in the 9½ points of our programme:
1. A fair system with lower taxes and duties.
2. An invigorated education system, encouraging diversity.
3. An overhaul of the pension system.
4. The reduction of public debts.
5. A needs-based social security system as a pillar of solidarity.
6. A sustainable economic management with less bureaucracy and more room for entrepreneurs.
7. A contemporary framework that supports families with the child care and the infrastructure they need.
8. Real political transparency, allowing more active participation.
9. A revamped, truly democratic Europe that unites its nations and invites citizens to help shape their future.
9½. Politics thrives on new ideas; it needs smart people with brilliant minds – and less people who cling on to their seats.
IN EUROPE & WORLDWIDE
We are proud Austrians and equally proud Europeans.
Yet, we know: only a democratic and strong Europe will be able to tackle today’s challenges and those in the years to come. At a European level, we are part of ALDE, the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats.
At an international level, we have made the concerns of Austrians living abroad our own. NEOS actively represents them and their specific interests in Parliament. Austrians living abroad are invited to contribute their knowledge and experience.
Join us: firstname.lastname@example.org
PARTICIPATION – OPEN & TRANSPARENT
Anyone who wants to participate can join a NEOS task force and volunteer his time and knowledge. Volunteers also head and lead those task forces, they work with experts, draft positions and papers, and cooperate with party headquarters and members of Parliament.
NEOS does not select its candidates by means of secret horse-trading but uses a three stage primary system. We want our politicians to be dedicated citizens and experienced entrepreneurs who volunteer their time for public service. That’s why each candidate has to go through the same system. And that’s why we are considering introducing term limits.
NEOS has already revolutionised the political party funding system in Austria. In order to spearhead further reforms and launch more innovative campaigns, we need support – and donations. During the 2013 election campaign alone, we raised 1.5 million Euros from more than 3,000 donors – naturally, we publish each and every donation.
If you want to contact us, just send an email to: email@example.com